Chocolate Mocha Cupcake
Rated 2.5 stars by 2 users
1 Package Judee’s Iowa Cupcakery Chocolate Cupcakes
1 tbsp instant espresso powder (not instant coffee)
2 Large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup oil (canola or favorite neutral oil)
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ½ cup hot brewer coffee (approximately 150°F)
- ½ cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 Sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder
- 2 tsp. of instant Espresso powder
- 4 cups sifted powder sugar
- 4 tsp. Half and Half
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Chocolate Mocha Frosting
Preheat oven to 325°F with the rack on the top ⅓ of the oven and prepare cupcake liners in pan
- Add the cupcake mix to a large bowl along with the instant espresso powder
- Add in Hot coffee and oil, stir using a wooden spoon or spatula
- In a separate bowl combine egg, and sourcream and whisk together
- Add the egg mixture to the cupcake batter and stir well. Fold in chocolate chips (optional)
- Scoop the cupcake mixture into the prepared cupcake liners, filling up ¾ of the way
- Place the cupcakes in the oven and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. If using chocolate chips, there may be melted chocolate on the toothpick
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for 5-6 minutes before carefully removing the cupcakes and transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Frost the cupcakes with your favorite icing, or jump over to Iowa Cupcakery’s website to find her favorite chocolate frosting recipe !
Chocolate Mocha Icing instructions
In your stand mixer or with handheld beaters, cream the butter on medium speed for five minutes, scraping down the bowl occasionally. You should see your butter turn from yellow color to a creamy white.
To your creamed butter, add in the cocoa powder, espresso powder and salt. Mix until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl making sure all butter is mixed in, and then mix on medium speed for 1 minute.
Next, add in one cup of sifted powdered sugar with 1 Tbsp of half-and-half and mix until combined. You will repeat this step until all 4 cups of powdered sugar, and 4 tablespoons of half-and-half have been added. Mix for 1 minute on medium speed.
Lastly, add in your one teaspoon of pure vanilla extract, and mix your mocha buttercream another 1-2 minutes until light and fluffy.