Classic Homemade Apple Pie
Savor the timeless comfort of our Classic Homemade Apple Pie, a dessert masterpiece made with love and precision. This delightful recipe features a flaky, golden crust using Judee's Superfine Caster Sugar for a touch of sweetness. The luscious apple filling, seasoned with Judee's Apple Pie Spice, promises a symphony of flavors in every bite. Perfect for family gatherings or special occasions, this apple pie recipe guarantees a warm and nostalgic experience, capturing the essence of traditional baking with modern simplicity. Embrace the joy of creating cherished memories with our easy-to-follow guide to this timeless dessert.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsalted butter, cold and cubed
- 1/4 cup Judee's Superfine Caster Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup ice water
6-7 medium-sized apples (a mix of tart and sweet varieties), peeled, cored, and sliced
- 1/2 cup Judee's Superfine Caster Sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Judee's Apple Pie Spice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)
- Judee's Superfine Caster Sugar (for sprinkling)
For the Crust
For the Filling
For the Topping
Prepare the Crust:
In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and salt
Add the cold, cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work it into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add ice water, one tablespoon at a time, and mix until the dough comes together.
- Divide the dough in half, shape each half into a disc, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat the Oven
Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
Prepare the Filling
In a large bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, flour, Judee's Apple Pie Spice, and salt. Mix until the apples are evenly coated.
Roll Out the Dough
On a floured surface, roll out one disc of the chilled dough to fit a 9-inch pie dish.
- Place the rolled-out dough into the pie dish, trimming any excess overhang.
Add the Filling
Spoon the apple filling into the pie crust, spreading it evenly.
Roll Out the Top Crust
Roll out the second disc of dough and place it over the apple filling.
- Trim and crimp the edges to seal the pie.
Vent the Pie
Use a sharp knife to make a few small slits or cut decorative vents in the top crust to allow steam to escape
Apply Egg Wash
Brush the top crust with beaten egg and sprinkle Judee's Superfine Caster Sugar over it for a golden, sweet finish.
Place the pie on a baking sheet to catch any drips and bake in the preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbly.
Cool and Serve
Allow the pie to cool for at least 2 hours before slicing. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a delightful treat!